Labels

Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Stuck in Nome: a modern day Odyssey

“You figure we’ll get out today?” Chris, a fellow Bering Straits administrator asked as we sat at the Alaska Airlines gate.
            “Oh, yeah, we’ll make it out of Anchorage,” I answered, “but my fear is we get stuck in Nome.”
            Anchorage to Unalakleet is normally a straight shot flying on RAVN Alaska.  Lovingly referred to as the cookie plane by bush dwellers, RAVN flies a DeHaviland Dash 8 between Anchorage and Unalakleet once a day.  It has a bathroom, drink service, and large cookies (hence the name) that the flight attendant hands out to passengers during the flight.  However, the seats for the return flight had sold out before the district was able to secure enough to fly us all back.
            The Bering Strait School District sends its administrators to Anchorage twice a year for meetings, getting them away from site so that they can sit still long enough to pay attention.  Texts still come in, but being in Anchorage means that we can’t get up and let the teacher who is locked out back into the building and she has to solve the problem in another way.
            I secretly hoped that Alaska Airlines would check weather in Nome, see freezing rain and wind blowing 40 miles per hour and opt to just stay on the ground.  I wanted to get home to my wife and young daughter, but if I was going to be stuck, it might as well be someplace comfortable with a treadmill and reasonably priced stores.
            “We’ll begin our preboarding of those passengers with children as well as people needing assistance in boarding the plane,” was announced over the intercom.
            “Well, here we go,” I said to myself.
            The flight was smooth and I read my book while I enjoyed a good cup of coffee.  Even the approach into Nome was without bumps, but as we dropped below the clouds, rain blowing sideways quickly coated the windows.  Landing in Nome in the jet always feels like the pilot is trying to stop a runaway horse, and today was no different.  I imagined the pilot sitting at the controls saying “wow, big fella,” as he applied the brakes and put back pressure on the yoke.
            “We will be exiting the plane by going down stairs directly outside,” the flight attendant instructed, “please be careful not to walk below the wing or slip on the ice on your way to the terminal.”
            Wind and water blasted into me as I stepped down on the ice coated concrete.  I mentally made note to zip my coat before getting off of the plane next time.  I did a quick shuffle, passing two other passengers awkwardly skating on the ice on their own journeys to escape the weather.
            After a short wait inside for my Alaskan luggage (a 15-gallon rubber made tote), I made my way back outside (coat zipped this time), and again shuffled through the ice and slush of the parking lot soaking my running shoes and socks in the process, but just happy that I didn’t end up on my back in the middle of an ice water bath. 
            My feet were wet, I was cold and hungry, but the layover was supposed to be short and I would be able to take a shower and get some home cooked food after the short flight from Nome to Unalakleet.  I sat down and pulled out my book.
            Thirty pages later, a young woman entered the terminal, walked over and sat down in the vacant chair next to me.
            “I hear you guys are on weather hold, ah?” she said addressing me.
            “I think you know more than we do,” I responded, “we haven’t been told anything.”
            “Yeah, Bering Air is shut down for the day, and the runway in Unalakleet is closed due to ice,” she informed me.
            Evidently RAVN was continuing to work on its standard reputation for communication with passengers, I thought to myself.  I began to wonder if I should contact one of the local hotels as well as questioning when a trunk wielding John Candy would waltz in trying to sell shower curtain rings.
            “Passengers heading to St. Michael, Stebbins, and Unalakleet: your flight has been canceled.  Please come up to the counter to reschedule your flights,” a young RAVN employee said sounding as official as possible. 
            We dutifully headed to the counter.
            “Yeah, we don’t have any seats out tomorrow on Sunday,” the young woman informed me, eyes never leaving her computer screen.  “Earliest I can get you out is Monday morning.”
            I quickly dialed the competition but heard a similar report from Bering Air.
            In the back of my head, John Candy’s voice could be heard saying, “While you were trying to reschedule your flight, I was calling the Braidwood Inn…”
            The Aurora Inn, the nicest hotel in Nome, was in the process of remodeling, leaving them with fewer rooms available.
            “Sorry, we just gave out our last room a couple of minutes ago,” the receptionist informed me as she stared at her computer screen, “there is the Nugget just down the road.”
            Rain poured down outside as I made my way past a couple of questionable characters who recognized me immediately and greeted me by name.  I said a quick hello and ducked through the door.
Inside the Nugget I informed the woman working behind the steel bar protected desk, “I’m kind of stuck in Nome and need a room for the night.”
            “Oh yes,” the receptionist smiled at me before turning and talking to the woman behind her in some Asian language.  “One-seventy-five,” she said as she turned back to me.
            “Wow, okay,” and I took the key, a large metal one with an enormous plastic key ring denoting which room I was staying in.  Only a hubcap could have been more subtle.
            As I walked up the stairs I thought about how much cheaper it would be to just stay outside in the freezing rain.  Upon opening the door to my room, I thought about how much warmer it would be to just stay outside in the freezing rain.
            In Nome, AK, $175 rents a room with a queen bed, desk from the early 1980s, a college room fridge and microwave, a small television mounted 6 inches from the ceiling, a small shower, ancient toilet, and an inoperable sink.  Upon further inspection, I discovered a 1980s dresser under the balled-up comforter in the corner.  Interior design style: northern Michigan deer camp.
$175 just doesn't get what it used to.

            I plugged in the space heater (sparks from the outlet confirmed it was working), turned on the television and found the Michigan State game, shivering on the bed while I watched them lose.  It was around 3:00, and I hadn’t eaten since breakfast, but my mind played tug of war with the conflicting ideas of it being warmer in the room or warmer walking down the icy sidewalks in the rain to get to Milano’s down the street a half mile away.
Part of me wondered if the hotel would still be there after dinner due to me plugging in the space heater.

            My stomach finally won out and I bundled as much as I could in the city clothes I had packed for the journey.  Ice skates would have been a better choice than my running shoes, but those were back home in Unalakleet.  Somehow, I managed to stay upright and only soak one shoe jumping from slush free spot to slush free spot.  Milano’s was a warm, dry oasis with a familiar face sitting at one of the tables already.  Frank, another stranded school administrator who was also stuck… lodging at The Nugget, had made the trek to the restaurant earlier in the same search for warmth.  He had long since finished his pizza, but sat nursing a beverage as an excuse to remain at his comfortable table.
            Milano’s is definitely not run by an Italian family, but they make a pretty good pizza, as well as Sushi, tempura, burgers, French fries, onion rings… they try to cover all their bases.  I inhaled all but two pieces of a medium almost forgetting to cache some away for breakfast.  If the Nugget had a complimentary breakfast… I think I would pass on it.
            Frank and I continued to nurse beverages in order to keep our table.  Though The Nugget is decorated like a deer camp, there is none of the camaraderie one would associate with one.  I imagine a similar amount of drinking takes place as on the night before opening day of hunting season, but the comparison really stops there.  6:30 and we decided it was time to call it a night.  Neither of us would be what I would consider night life kind of people, and definitely not the kind of night life Nome had to offer.
            We made our way past the bars of Front Street: the famous Board of Trade, Anchor, Polar, and again ducked into The Nugget. 
            Frank bid me, “Good luck and stay warm,” as we parted ways.
            It seemed like a much more appropriate thing to say upon parting at The Nugget than good night.  I opened my door and was greeted by warmth.  The space heater was doing its job in pushing back the cold that seeped in around the plexiglass of the bathroom window.  Duct tape, though fashionable, was not working all that well to seal the gaps around the replacement.
If it can't be fixed with duct tape, it can't be fixed.

            I was glad that I would not need to rescue the comforter from its ball in the corner.  The design on it looked like something from the 70s, and Hoffa could have been hidden under it for all I knew.  No need to uncover him now.  With the heat, I decided I would sleep on top of the covers.
If you look closely, you might just find Jimmy Hoffa

            A couple laps through the television channels proved that there is truly nothing good on television.  Without a treadmill though, my finger at least got a work out pressing buttons on the remote.  As I closed my eyes, my final thought for the day was the fear associated with not knowing where my morning coffee would come from.
My alarm went off at 6:00 am in order to start my calls to the airlines early enough to get on a morning flight should space prove available.  I got dressed, packed my stuff, and started my calls greeted by answering machines at both of the airlines… every half hour until around 9am when they finally started opening for the day.
“Sorry, we are all sold out and won’t have any openings until tomorrow,” Bering Air informed me… or was it RAVN.  Both airlines were reading from the same script.
Bering Straits School District owns its own plane, but it would be flying around picking up volleyball teams and wrestling teams.  It would not be coming for us.
My phone buzzed, “Bering has found a plane and they want us at the airport at 11:30,” Kris had texted.  “I’ll be by the Nugget to pick you guys up.”
I still had to find coffee.  I threw on my shoes I had dried in front of the space heater, found some dry socks that did not stink too badly yet, and grabbed my stuff. 
Frank was in the lobby already and he took one look at me and moved to the correct conclusion, “I went down to the Café,” he said, “to get some coffee.”
I dropped my stuff, which Frank agreed to watch and made my way out the door into the slush filled sidewalks.  I don’t know why I didn’t just wade right into the puddles.  I had some strange hope that I would keep my feet dry amidst puddles a foot deep and rain coming down sideways.  Somehow I made it through to Polar Café with dry feet just in time to receive a text from Kris informing me of a good little coffeeshop three blocks in the opposite direction.
Good coffee was worth the walk, and nothing against Polar or Folgers, but that is not what I reach for in the morning.  Back down the sidewalk in the direction I had just come.  A carryover from childhood, when I reached a two-foot puddle filled with ice water, I figured if I just jumped  and pulled my feet out quickly that my feet would stay dry.  My experiment proved that theory false and I grumbled under my breath about city engineers and properly draining streets.
I made it up the steps of the coffee shop without baptizing my other set of toes to be greeted by a sign stating, “Closed, but still awesome.”
“I disagree,” I complained to the sign and turned back to go to the café that I was standing just outside of ten minutes earlier. 
Back at Polar Café, both feet icy and wet, I ordered a nice tall cup of Folgers wishing I could just inject the caffeine instead of experiencing “the best part of waking up.”  I took a sip and discovered how to make Folgers palatable: walk three miles through icy slush in rain going sideways.  I won’t say that it tasted awesome, but I wasn’t about to pour it out either.
I met my ride at The Nugget and headed out to Bering Air.  I poured the water out of the lid of my Alaskan luggage (15 gallon rubber made tote), and weaved through a lobby full of Kotzebue elementary basketball players.
“I have a seat for sure?” I asked the agent behind the desk.
“Yes,” she replied.
“For today?”
“Yeeeees,” she drew out the e as though she wondered why I should ever ask.
On the plane, all of the passengers (mostly school employees trying to get home), were not comfortable enough yet to celebrate.  It wasn’t until I could see Ellen sitting in the passenger seat of the car as I walked across the parking lot in Unalakleet that it was real.

-->            “I love you too, Daddy,” Ellen yelled through the open window.
Loaded up in the King Air and heading for Unalakleet.


No comments:

Post a Comment