Labels

Monday, September 16, 2019

Gluten Free Tortillas (How To)




            My family is gluten free… kind of.  Myra discovered a number of years ago that she was allergic.  She was experiencing flu-like symptoms and was often very groggy in the evening.  At the recommendation of an acquaintance who was allergic to gluten, she stopped eating gluten for a short period of time and discovered that her symptoms went away.  Any time she eats gluten now, her head gets stopped up, she feels groggy, and not fully herself.  So, no gluten for her.
            Ellen is currently struggling with eczema, which it turns out half of the population of kids in Unalakleet have gone through as every parent has a story of battling itchy kids.  Gluten can be a possible irritant as it can cause inflammation.  So, she is now off gluten.
            Dad… well, Dad does not feel like sitting in a dark closet eating toast by himself, and though I am not entirely off of gluten (the school had left-over cinnamon rolls the other day that called my name from across the hall), I have greatly reduced my intake.  In doing so, I have lost almost 15 pounds, and Myra is very supportive of the idea of me never eating gluten again.  I guess those eight pieces of bread I ate every day spread across three meals and snacks had an impact on a body no longer swimming distances measured in miles.
            So… gluten free.  For a baker who is used to traditional whole wheat and white flour, gluten-free flour can be a lot like working with wallpaper paste.  It acts nothing like its red-headed step-sibling (sure feels like the correct title in a world going gluten free): gluten flour.  It has none of the binding, malleable characteristics that gluten gives to flour. 
            Though store-bought gluten free products are getting better than the cardboard that was originally sold and labeled gluten free, they still have a long way to go.  Corn tortillas from the store have never been what I would call palatable, and gluten free flour tortillas might as well be just titled what they really are: rice cakes.  They are brittle and flavorless.
            I used to really enjoy making whole-wheat tortillas before my family stopped digesting them.  The whole-wheat made for a great texture, and the flavor of the fresh tortillas straight from the pan were such that a little butter and they could be eaten by themselves.  I went into a mini-mourning when we decided to take Ellen off of gluten.
I just throw it all in together

            It was worth one more try, and that is when I stumbled across this recipe:
            2 cups all-purpose gluten free flour (We use Pamelas)
            1/3 cup Crisco
            2 ¼ t yeast
            ¼ t salt
            1 C water
Our kitchen power tool

            A stand-up mixer is not necessary for this recipe, but we have one, and so why not.  It is like my power tool for the kitchen (insert Tim the Toolman Taylor man-grunt here).  I put all of the ingredients into my mixer bowl at once and gradually beat them together at a low speed with the paddle attachment.  As the mix becomes more moist, I increase the speed on my Kitchen Aid to 2 or 3 and allow it to mix until it clumps into one large ball around the paddle.
Dough should be clumped in a ball once fully mixed.

            At this point, I preheat my skillet on medium low heat.  No oil is really needed in the pan as the Crisco aids in keeping the tortillas from sticking.  In this go around as I cooked these tortillas, Myra had added some olive oil to the pan to cook what we were going to use for a filling before discovering I needed the pan.  I left the oil in.
            We have two pieces of circular parchment paper that we just keep below our sink.  They are our tortilla parchment papers.  I found a round pot that would fit easily into our skillet, traced it onto the parchment papers and cut them out.  They help me size the tortillas for the pan, and with the gluten free flour that can sometimes be sticky, they help me to press out the tortilla without sticking them to the rolling pin or the pot bottom (I have a redneck press system that I like).
            For the pan I am using, I take and make a ball of dough a little larger than a golf ball and definitely smaller than a racquet ball.  I place the ball in the middle of one of my parchment paper rounds, flatten the dough a little with my hand, and then place the other parchment round on top.  I then use a pot (the same I used to make the parchment rounds) and press the dough with the pot and my body weight.  I shimmy the pot a little in a circular turning motion to aid in pressing out the dough.  This makes a perfectly round tortilla.  If it is not as thin as I would like, I go over it a couple times evenly with a rolling pin trying to keep its round shape.  I do have a tortilla press that permanently lives in our cupboards and never comes out.
I used the pot for a pattern for my parchment paper rounds and then as a tortilla press

            I peel one of the parchment papers and then place the tortilla dough side down into the pan while still stuck to the other piece of parchment.  As the tortilla cooks, it will release itself from the paper which will easily pull away. 
            I cook the tortilla around a minute per side (experiment with this as too done becomes less malleable… they don’t take long to cook and so I have never accidentally eaten a raw one).  Fresh off the pan, they are malleable, and way better flavored than their store-bought counterparts.
Finished product

            Left overs, if we have any, are put into a ziplock once they are cool, and placed in the fridge.  I have never tried freezing them, but guess it could be done the same way.  Honestly, with a three-year-old who steals them off the plate as soon as they come off the pan, storage has never been an issue.  Sometimes we make a batch of dough up and place it in the fridge in a airproof container uncooked, and then pull the dough out and fry up fresh ones as needed.  We have left uncooked dough in the fridge for a week with no problems.
            We have used these tortillas as taco and burrito shells, enchiladas, quesadillas, and just spread butter on them and eaten them hot.
            A whole-wheat gluten filled tortilla they are not, but for those who can’t digest gluten, that is precisely the point.
Tortilla thief

No comments:

Post a Comment